Monday, October 15, 2007

Not-so-startling revelation

Yesterday DH and I were in the car riding home. I was eating a rice cake, and after a few bites I realized I didn't like it--normally I do, but this one tasted funny. So I threw it out the window. When DH asked what I was doing, I said "I didn't like it, so I stopped eating it. I should do that more often." Then, like a lightbulb that should have come on a long time ago, I thought, "Hey. I really should do that more often." I stuck with it all day yesterday, even through a birthday party with cake. (I had no cake--I had decided that before it was even cut. It was a store bought cake and I don't ever really like them. I always have a piece, but the frosting always leaves a residue and the cake usually tastes fake.)

This brings me to another thing I saw online the other day while I was messing around. Paraphrased, it said "No one ever wakes up in the morning wishing they'd eaten more the night before, but most of us have woken up wishing we'd eaten less." It was another "so-obvious-why-didn't-I-think-it" moment. How many times have I eaten something at night just because I was bored and woke up in the morning wondering why I ate all of it when it wasn't even that great and I wasn't hungry?

I went jogging this morning--well, I jogged some and walked some. It was much nicer than walking on a treadmill or riding the exercise bike. I may try and see if I can get in one last round of golf before it gets too cold. I once saw something on Oprah that said that it was great if you played tennis, golfed, swam, whatever, but those were "activities," and "activities" were not to be confused with or used in lieu of "exercise," which is apparently to be done in a gym and preferably with a trainer. I say that's crap. It may work for some people, but in the past when all my exercise has been in a gym or on a machine I've just found excuses not to do it. I'd much rather look forward to playing a round of golf or taking a swim than dreading my hour on the treadmill. It may be different for others, but this is what I have to do to make it work for me.

No comments: